I have prepared a matrix Accounting-Management, Finance-Commerce to facilitate the choice of RAP topic most suitable for you. Oxford Brookes University requires that you choose one of the twenty approved project topic areas as the basis for your RAP. They are listed on page 38 of Information Pack 2017-18. Students have to remain within approved topic areas and are not able to request to undertake a RAP based on a different topic.
If you still have doubts about your RAP topic, consider the next factors:
· Access to information sources;
· Knowledge and Understanding of Topic Area;
· Your strengths and Weakness (Are you stronger in accounting or management?);
· Whether topic is interesting and useful for your professional development.
Finally, some additional information could influence your topic selection:
Topic 8 ‘The business and financial performance of an organisation over a three-year period’ – is the most popular choice (around two thirds of submissions). It will almost 100% be supported by secondary research of material in the public domain. But note the new special requirements for topics 8 and 15: all students must use sector specific organisations, based on the Industry Classification Benchmark (page 40 of OBU RAP Information Pack 2017-2018) and you should use the most current 3 years financial statements available at the start of the submission period.
Topic 6 ‘The key factors or indicators in the motivation of employees in an organisation’ – is the second most popular topic. It would very likely require extensive primary research and organizing questionnaires or interviews on employees’ motivation.
Other preferred OBU topics are 10, 16, 17 and 19
10) A review of the effectiveness of the use of costing techniques within an organisation.
16) A critical evaluation of the financial and operational risk management within an organisation.
17) An assessment of the quality of the corporate governance within an organisation and the impact on an organisation’s key stakeholders.
19) An analysis and evaluation of the financial and operational consequences of a merger between two organisations or of the acquisition of one organisation by another.
When asked about his opinion on the choice of RAP Topic, John Playle, chief moderator for Oxford Brookes University BSc (Hons) in Applied Accounting replied:
– There are many myths about what is the easiest topic to pass or the one that has the highest pass rate. Not one of those myths is supported by evidence. The easiest topic is the one you know most about and will enjoy researching and writing and there is no evidence supporting the theory that some have a higher pass rate than others.